Thursday, May 26, 2016

So what are you doing these days, Sarah?

I can't tell you how many times I get asked that question and the answers seems to always be "still school".

When I graduated high school I thought I had my life planned out. I was moving to San Antonio for school, going to dental school and then becoming an orthodontist. As we all know, God likes to change our plans a lot! My brother was in and out of a lot of trouble, my parents were divorcing, and I thought all my friends were replacing me. I went into a major depression. I joined AOII and I thought that would help, it did bring me my best friend though! I spent day after day laying in bed crying and not knowing what to do. Classes were horrible and nothing like I expected. I thought the next year would be better after the summer being home and moving into an apartment with three of my sorority sisters. My depression continued getting worse and I decided it was time to talk to my doctor. My Ehlers Danlos pain was also horrible. Classes were still getting worse and I thought maybe taking a semester off would help and I ended up getting a job. March of 2010, I had a complete breakdown and begged my mom to let me move back home. I came home and took another semester off while I started working. I still wasn't sure about what I wanted to do with my life but I knew it was something with kids or babies. After a few years of random classes and working towards my basics, I started working at a daycare. One day....one day was all it took for me to know I wanted to be a teacher. I continued taking classes and got my associates degree in child development. I finally transferred to UHCL and started taking my education classes. After seven years of depression and moving multiple times and learning to deal with EDS, I had to work to get my GPA back up to an acceptable GPA from nothing, literally a zero. Today I got an email saying I was finally accepted into the Teacher Education Program. This may not be a big deal to some, and there are many days I hate that I should have graduated three years ago. But I haven't given up and I never will. I never could have done any of this if it wasn't for my faith, my parents, family, best friends, and now my amazing boyfriend who pushes me to be the best I can be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment